Ingredients for Pastry
- 125g Flour (260 ml)
- 125g cream cheese or cottage cheese
- 125g Butter (135 ml) 1ml salt
Ingredients for Filling
- 20g Flour (37,5 ml)
- 50g Mushrooms chopped (150 ml)
- 20g Butter (25 ml) 3 ml lemon juice
- 250ml milk 10g onion, chopped (10 ml)
- 50g finely grated biltong (200ml) 5 ml parsley, chopped
- 10g Butter (12,5ml) 2 eggs
Directions for Pastry
- Sift the flour and salt together. Rub the butter into the flour mixture, using your fingertips. Mix the cream cheese in with a knife.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator to cool. Roll the dough out to about 3mm thickness.
- Place pastry in an un-greased pie tin about 200mm in diameter.
- Bake pastry shell for 15 minutes at 220 degrees C (450 degrees F.)
Directions for Filling
- Add the milk gradually and keep stirring until the sauce boils. Boil it for 3 minutes. Chop the mushrooms and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Sauté the mushrooms and chopped onion in the 10g butter until brown. Add to the white sauce.
- Separate the eggs, beat the egg yolks and add to the white sauce. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Spoon into partially baked pastry shell and bake for 10 minutes at 200 degrees C (400 degrees F.) (8-10 servings)
- 50 g grated biltong (200ml)
- 100 ml milk or thin cream
- 95 g flour (400ml) 30 g butter (33 ml)
- 2 ml marmite 1 egg
- Sift together all the dry ingredients, except the biltong. Rub the butter into the flour mixture with the fingertips until the mixture is crumbly. Add the grated biltong.
- Beat the egg and milk together and cut the liquid into the flour mixture with a knife.
- Roll dough out to 25 mm thickness and cut into squares. Place squares on a slightly greased baking sheet and bake at 220 degrees C (450 degrees F) for 12 minutes.
- Spread butter onto scones while hot. (12 scones)
- 120 g Whole-wheat flour (sifted)
- 120 g Cake flour (sifted)
- 200 g Biltong – finely chopped
- 50 g Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- 30 ml Baking powder (sifted)
- 3 Eggs (lightly whisked)
- 200 ml Milk
- 100 ml Cooking oil
- 15 ml Lemon juice
- Combine together all the dry ingredients and then add the eggs, milk, oil and lemon juice. Mix gently until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Spoon into greased muffin pans and bake at 220° C for 11 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly before removing and serving with butter.
- Serves 10 people.
Biltong & Avocado salad
- 200 g Beef Biltong (thinly sliced)
- 1 packet mixed lettuce salad leaves
- 1 large, avocado (peeled and diced)
- 250 g cocktail tomatoes (halved)
- 1 cucumber (sliced)
- 50 g feta cheese (diced)
- 50 g pitted black olives
- 125 ml salad dressing of your choice
- Rinse salad leaves and drain thoroughly. In a large salad bowl, add lettuce leaves, biltong, diced avocado, cocktail tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese and olives.
- Toss together and refrigerate.
- Before serving, sprinkle dressing over salad.
- 125g butter
- 250ml flour
- 10ml black pepper
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 500ml milk
- 1.5 litres beef stock
- 250ml cheddar cheese (grated)
- 250g biltong (finely grated)
- 125ml cream
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Stir over a low heat for one minute (ensure it does not burn).
- Add the black pepper, nutmeg and ground coriander. Stirring continuously, gradually add the milk and the stock. Stir over low heat until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add the cheese and 200g of the biltong.
- Heat without allowing the soup to boil, and add cream to taste, just before serving. Top each serving with a generous sprinkling of grated biltong.