- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ to ½ cup local honey
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon grated Meyer lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Scald the milk in a saucepan over low to medium heat, but do not let boil. While this is heating, place a roasting pan into the oven, pour in enough water to make a water bath for your filled custard cups, keeping in mind that they will displace a lot of the water. Preheat oven to 325°.
- Remove milk from heat and stir in the honey and salt. While the milk cools, beat eggs in a bowl. Then, going slowly so as not to curdle the milk, beat 1 tablespoon at a time of the warm milk mixture into the eggs until milk is incorporated.
- Beat in the grated lemon rind, vanilla, and nutmeg, and pour mixture into the custard cups, dividing evenly. Place filled custard cups into the pan of water inside oven. Bake for 1 to 1¼ hours, or until custard is firm at the edges and almost firm in the center. Remove and let cool. Serve with whipped cream and berries or other canned fruit or preserves.