These granola bars made with simple, wholesome ingredients are perfect for breakfast or a snack.
- 11/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup packed dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup almond butter (crunchy or creamy)
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup shredded coconut – unsweetened
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- 3 ounces of semi sweet chocolate (about ½ cup) – melted
- Line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper or plastic wrap and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 F. Place the oats on a baking sheet and toast for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes add the coconut and sesame seeds to the oats and toast for 7 –8 more minutes or until coconut and sesame seeds are golden brown.
- In glass bowl microwave almond butter and honey to soften slightly.
- In a food processor pulse the dates until they are reduced to small pieces and form a ball. Remove dates from the food processor and place them in a bowl. Add oats, coconut, sesame seeds and chia seeds. Stir to combine. Add softened almond butter mixture and stir well to evenly coat all of the ingredients.
- Transfer mixture to the 8 x 8 pan. Spread evenly to about ½ inch using a piece of plastic underneath your hands to prevent sticking. Place pan in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or the freezer for 15 minutes until set.
- Cut into 10 equal bars. Fill a small ziplock with melted chocolate and drizzle on top of each bar. Or spread the melted chocolate on ½ of each bar.
- Bars are best served cold – store in the refrigerator or freezer.