How is your back-to-school time kicking off? For me, back to school time (though we haven’t started yet) means keeping plenty of after-school snacks on hand (I call these “Power Snacks”). So I wanted to share one of our favorites with you! These are super easy, really delicious, and filled with protein. Use the darkest kind of chocolate you can handle. I would recommend 80% cacao. Chewy tart dried cherries add antioxidants, and chia seeds add Omega-3 fats. Whether these are to boost your energy or your kids, they will be great to kick a busy school year off right, nutritionally speaking!
Keep them stored in the refrigerator.
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter (one where the only ingredients are peanuts and salt)
- 1/2 cup whole rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a bowl, pour peanut butter and add oats, honey, protein powder, chopped cherries, and chia seeds, stirring until everything is a uniform mixture.
- Melt dark chocolate chips in the microwave just until they are soft and on the verge of being completely melted – about 20 seconds. Fold them into the peanut butter mixture, so there are dark chocolate ripples throughout the mixture. Refrigerate peanut butter mixture 10 minutes to let chocolate solidify again.
- Remove mixture and scoop into balls about 1 1/2 tablespoons each. Store Chocolate-covered Cherry Balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator
Calories 113, Total Fat 7.5 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat 3.4 g, Cholesterol 0.8 mg, Sodium 49 mg, Potassium 114 mg, Total Carbohydrates 12 g, Fiber 1.8 g, Sugars 9 g, Protein 4.8 g