- 1 egg (free range if possible)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened milk of choice (organic if possible)
- 1/4 cup Fair Trade Honey, Organic
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups crushed Honey Rice Puffins Cereal (Barbara’s Bakery)
- 1 medium apple, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Beat egg in a small bowl.
- Combine olive oil, milk, and honey in a bowl. Add egg and mix well.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir just until flour is moist.
- Add shredded apple to the mixture and fold in.
- Fill muffin tin 2/3 of the way full with the batter. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Substitute another fresh fruit for the apple.
- Use coconut oil instead of olive oil.
- Stir in finely chopped walnuts.
- Sprinkle extra cinnamon on top of the muffins.
- Replace spelt flour with unbleached wheat flour or whole grain flour.
- Make it gluten free! Replace flour with a gluten free baking mix.