Here’s macaroni and cheese the way we like it in the Hirshberg home: extra creamy and gooey, with pecorino and blue cheeses adding a bite. This version’s also made with healthier whole-wheat pasta and about half the fat of most mac ‘n’ cheese dishes.
- 1 pound whole-wheat elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Stonyfield Organic Lowfat 1% Milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 6 ounces Pecorino cheese, grated
- 3 ounces blue cheese or Gorgonzola, crumbled (optional)
- 2 cups Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk Plain Yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare macaroni according to package instructions.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and stir until the mixture thickens and adheres to the pan. Add milk, mustard, Dijon, paprika, salt and pepper. Continue to stir until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat. Add cheeses and yogurt.
- Mix yogurt mixture with pasta and pour into a 9×13 inch baking dish. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 350, Calories from Fat 130, Total Fat 15g, Saturated Fat 9g, Cholesterol 40mg, Sodium 670mg, Total Carbohydrate 39g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 3g, Protein 17g