Clafoutis is your new dessert crush, a dish that quickly elevates an ordinary meal to an event. Fruit-forward and so simple to make, sweet cherries are the star in this delicious, rich, baked custard. Green Valley Organics swapped in their lactose-free Kefir for the cream in the original Classic Clafoutis recipe. This is a very quick and easy way to serve an elegant yet comforting dessert that is crust-free. Serve warm from the oven with a kiss of powdered sugar.
This recipe can be made in a tart or quiche pan, any 9-inch deep-dish pie pan, or any pan with four cups capacity (we love using a cast iron pan). Baking times will vary with differing pans.
Real Dairy, Lactose-Free
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup Green Valley Organics lactose-free sour cream
- 1 cup Green Valley Organics lactose-free plain kefir
- 12 oz. pitted fresh or frozen cherries
- 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar until frothy. You may want to use a blender or a mixer for this. Add the almond extract, vanilla, flour and salt. Fold in the sour cream and kefir.
- Spray the pan with oil. Pour one-third of the batter into the pan. Bake in the oven for approximately 7 minutes or until the batter is just set.
- Remove the pan from the oven and spread the cherries evenly over the partially baked custard. Pour the remaining batter over the cherries. Return the pan to the oven and continue baking for 35-40 minutes or until the custard is done. (It will be baked when the custard is no longer jiggly and the tip of a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.)
- Just before serving, dust with powdered sugar. Serve warm.