Skip to content
Ingredients for Cake
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (2.5 sticks)
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup Lost Coast Roast “Mocha” Cold Brew
Ingredients for Frosting
- 3 sticks unsalted butter (room temp)
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 4 tsp instant coffee granules
- 2 tsp milk
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 3-4 cup powdered sugar
Ingredients for Chocolate Ganache
- 1/2 cup & 2 tbs heavy cream
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions for Cake
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease three 9 inch cake pans and line the bottom with a round piece of parchment paper.
- Sift dry ingredients 3x.
- Beat butter and sugar well then add eggs. Beat for 6 minutes.
- Beat 1/3 of the dry mix in. Add buttermilk. Add 1/3 more of dry mix. Add vanilla and mocha cold brew. Add the remainder of dry mix.
- Once batter is smooth, pour evenly into three pans.
- Bake for 30-34 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on rack for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove cakes from pans and allow to cool completely.
- Remove parchment paper from bottom and level off cakes with sharp knife, if needed.
- Individually cover each cake with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
Directions for Frosting
- In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and shortening until fluffy.
- Dissolve coffee granules in milk and add to bowl. Add cocoa powder.
- Begin to add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, first mixing by hand and then with an electric mixer until smooth and sufficiently thick.
Directions for Ganache
- Place chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl.
- In a small pan over low heat, bring the heavy cream to a boil and then remove from heat.
- Remove cake layers from fridge. Frost top of cake and stack. Apply a thin layer of frosting around the edges of the cake with a spatula. Place cake in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the ganache.
- Remove cake from fridge and add remaining frosting to the sides and top of the cake until smooth and uniform.
- Use a spoon to drizzle ganache down the sides, allowing to drip. Fill the top of the cake with remaining ganache and spread evenly with the back of a spoon. Allow ganache to set for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings, piped frosting, or coffee beans.
Join now to keep your bonus points and unlock rewards
Already a member? Login here