Check out this recipe for an easy and delicious Berry Trifle featuring Organic Valley dairy products!
- 3 large Organic Valley Egg Yolks
- ⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp. granulate sugar divided
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 3 cups Organic Valley Whole Milk
- 1 Tbsp. Organic Valley Unsalted Butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- ⅛ tsp. almond extract
- 12 oz. store-bought pound cake (or angel food cake, for a lighter version), cut into 1-inch pieces (6 heaping cups)
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh raspberries or blueberries
- 1 cup Organic Valley Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 Tbsp. sliced almonds, toasted
- In a medium heat-proof bowl, whisk the egg yolks until completely smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1⁄3 cup of the sugar, the cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in the milk. Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, until the milk starts to simmer, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove saucepan from the heat.
- Ladle about 1⁄2 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks in a thin stream while whisking to keep the eggs from curdling. Pour the milk-egg mixture back into the saucepan and whisk to combine.
- Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring with a rubber spatula, until the pudding starts to bubble and thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter pieces, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and the almond extract.
- Pour the pudding into a bowl (if some of the eggs have curdled in the pudding, strain it through a mesh strainer). Cover the pudding with plastic wrap, placing wrap directly on the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days (the pudding will thicken as it cools).
- Place half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a trifle dish or divide among six 12-ounce glasses. Top with half of the pudding, half of the strawberries and half of the raspberries. Repeat layers with the remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 1 day.
- Shortly before serving, make the whipped cream: In a large bowl, combine the whipping cream, the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Using a stand mixer or handheld electric beater, beat until medium peaks form (peaks slightly fall over). Dollop the whipped cream over the trifle and sprinkle with sliced almonds.