Delicious muffins that are great for a wholesome start to your day or a mid-day snack.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 11⁄4 cup Four Grain Hot Cereal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup golden raisins
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Spray 12 (2 1/2-inch) muffin-pan cups with vegetable cooking spray.
- Stir the flour, 1 cup cereal, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until the mixture is creamy. Add the eggs and beat until well blended. Stir in half the flour mixture. Stir in the milk. Stir in the remaining flour mixture. Stir in the raisins. Spoon the batter into the muffin-pan cups. Sprinkle with the remaining cereal.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- For 4-Grain Blueberry Muffins, substitute 1 cup fresh blueberries for the raisins.
- For 4-Grain Pumpkin Muffins, reduce the butter to 1/4 cup and add 1 cup canned pumpkin with the butter.
- For 4-Grain Applesauce Muffins, reduce the butter to 1/4 cup and add 1 cup applesauce with the butter.
- To make mini muffins, spoon the batter into a mini muffin-pan. Bake for 18 minutes or until baked through. Makes about 48 minis (I love freezing some – they thaw quickly and are great for on the go snacks)
Servings: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 5-10
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Cooling Time: 10 minutes