The ultimate gooey comfort food. This creamy, baked mac n’ cheese uses sharp cheddar and black olives for a delicious kid-friendly weeknight pasta dinner.
- 2 cups (7 oz.) multigrain or whole wheat elbow macaroni pasta
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 1% lowfat milk
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (2.25 oz.) can Lindsay® Sliced Ripe Pitted Olives, drained
- 1/2 cup packaged panko bread crumbs or toasted fresh bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions omitting salt.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook 30 seconds stirring constantly. Stir in milk; bring to a boil. Simmer 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1-1/2 cups of the cheese until melted. Stir in drained pasta and olives; mix well.
- Transfer to an 8 or 9-inch glass baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bread crumbs; sprinkle over pasta mixture. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until bubbly.