Kashi® 7 Whole Grain Nuggets cereal make extra-crunchy edges on this slightly sweet, tender tea bread. The recipe makes a bit more than a full loaf, so you can bake the overflow in muffin tins, or use the batter only for muffins
TOTAL TIME: 70 minutes (30 minutes active time)
MAKES: 1 loaf plus 6 muffins or 2 dozen muffins
- 1/2 cup Kashi® 7 Whole Grain Nuggets
- 1/2 cup fresh organic orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated organic lemon or orange zest
- 2 cups diced fresh mango (or 12 ounces frozen (defrosted) mango or 8 ounces dried mango)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large organic eggs
- ¾ cup evaporated cane juice crystals
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease a loaf pan and line 6 muffin tins with muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Nuggets, orange juice, and zest. Let soak until softened, about 20 minutes.
- If using dried mango, chop into 1/4-inch dice, then cover with 1 1 /2 to 2 cups boiling water. Let soak until tender, 15 minutes, then drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the soaking liquid. (This step is not necessary if using fresh or frozen mango.)
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl if using a hand-held mixer, combine the oil, eggs, cane juice crystals, maple syrup, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until smooth, 1 minute. On low speed, gradually add the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Add the Nugget mixture and the mango and mix briefly to combine, stirring up the batter on the bottom.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared pan and muffin tins, filling muffins by three-quarters, and bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 minutes for muffins and 45 minutes for the loaf. Place on a cooling rack and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Use a knife to gently separate the edges of the loaf, and invert onto another cooling rack. Cool bread 30 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition facts per serving: Per slice: 180 calories (63 from fat); 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat); 25 mg cholesterol; 210 mg sodium; 25 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 2 g protein
Moms are talking