For this recipe let the bold flavors of the olive oil take the place of the spices which are traditional in any carrot cake. When Chef Kevin makes this cake he uses Nantes carrots grown in the Capay Valley, but any carrot will work.
Ingredients for the Carrot Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour, plus a little more for the pan
- 1 pound of carrots, peeled and finely grated
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup of nonfat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 ½ cups of Cobram Estate® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the ‘Buttercream’
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons Cobram Estate® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a large 9″ x 13″ cake tin or two 8″ rounds with a drizzle of olive oil. Dust with flour, tap out any excess and set aside.
- Whisk together the carrots, eggs, buttermilk, sugar, and olive oil in a large bowl. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir the flour mixture into the carrot mixture until completely combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake for one hour and fifteen minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. While the cake is baking, prepare the buttercream by thoroughly and vigorously whisking the powdered sugar and olive oil together. Unmold the cake onto a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting. (Optional) Garnish with carrot ribbons or cleaned carrot tops.