Savory sausage, ripe tomatoes and flavorful black olives combine in this quick and easy pasta recipe. It’s a hearty fall or winter dinner in just 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow or sweet onion
- 3/4-lb. low fat Italian turkey sausage
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes in juice, undrained
- 1 cup Lindsay® California Black Olives
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 pound farfalle (butterflies), fusilli, penne or other pasta
- 1/2 cup finely shredded fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add onion; sauté until softened about 5 minutes.
- Remove sausage from casings; crumble into pan.
- Add garlic and, if desired, pepper flakes.
- Increase heat to medium-high; sauté until sausage is golden brown.
- Stir in tomatoes, olives, tomato paste, bay leaf, basil, rosemary and oregano.
- Bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Transfer pasta into serving bowl; toss with sauce. Top with cheese.
- Red Wine Sauce: If desired, add 1/2 cup red wine after browning sausage. Simmer 5 minutes and proceed with recipe as directed.