FOR THE PICKLED CARROTS
- ½ pound carrots, cut into matchsticks
- Peel from half a lemon
- ½ cup sliced sweet red pepper
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup white or apple vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon crushed cumin seeds
FOR THE SANDWICH
- ¼ cup hummus
- 2 cups sprouts (your choice- I used radish)
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 4 slices Daves Killer Bread, Thin Sliced Good Seed
- At least 12 hours, up to one week before making the sandwiches, place matchstick carrots, pepper, onions, lemon peel and red pepper flakes in a quart-sized jar.
- Combine the water, vinegar, sugar, salt, coriander, and cumin seeds in a small pot. Heat over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil and sugar/salt as dissolved.
- Pour over the carrots, cool, and place the lid on the jar. Store in refrigerator.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread 1 tablespoon of hummus on all four slices of bread.
- Layer a handful of sprouts on two of the slices, followed by a layer of the pickled carrot mixture and finally feta.
- Place the tops on the sandwiches, slice in half, and pack away for lunch.
- Recipe makes 2 sandwiches