Incorporating bone broth into your meals offers a magnitude of health benefits derived from the nutrients found in the bones themselves. When added to your recipes, it can raise the nutritional stakes and tastes of any family dinner.
This recipe, utilizing the nutrient-rich, healing power of bone broth, comes from Healing Bone Broth Recipes by Sharon and Reb Brown. This healthy take on an indulgent classic can also be made using coconut milk instead of raw milk for those avoiding dairy.
- 3 TABLESPOONS BUTTER OR GHEE
- 1 LARGE CARROT, SHREDDED
- 1 LARGE SHALLOT, CHOPPED
- SEA SALT TO TASTE
- FRESHLY CRACKED PEPPER
- 3 CUPS BONAFIDE PROVISIONS CHICKEN BONE BROTH
- 1 CUP RAW MILK
- 1 CUP RAW HEAVY CREAM
- 3 CUPS FRESH BROCCOLI FLORETS, CHOPPED SMALL
- 8 OUNCES RAW SHREDDED SHARP CHEDDAR CHEESE, PLUS MORE FOR SERVING.
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Then add the carrot and shallot, season with salt and pepper and sauté until the carrots are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and heat. Add the milk and cream, season with salt and pepper and increase heat to medium-high to bring the soup to a simmer.
- Turn the heat to medium, then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broccoli florets to the pot and cover to simmer for 20 more minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat, then add cheese in three batches, stirring until it’s completely smooth before adding the next batch.
- For a thinner soup, mash broccoli with a potato masher or leave in whole pieces.
- Serve with fresh raw cheddar on top and fresh cracked pepper.
Serves 6 to 8
Healing Bone Broth Recipes, co-authored by Sharon and Reb Brown, co-founders of Bonafide Provisions.
Moms are talking