This dense cake is a version of an olive oil cake from the Valpolicella region — Chef Gerard Viverito
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons flour in addition to the 3 cups
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup Red Palm Fruit Oil
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier, or other sweet citrus-flavored liqueur
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 3″-deep round 9″ cake pan and the outside of a heavy 3″-deep 3″ ovenproof ramekin or bowl with butter, then dust with 2 tbsp. of the flour, tapping out excess. Put ramekin or bowl upside down in center of prepared pan. Alternatively, grease an 11-cup bundt pan with butter and dust with flour. Set prepared pan aside.
- Beat eggs and sugar together in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until pale yellow, about 1 minute. Add remaining 3 cups flour, lemon zest, oil, milk, and liqueur and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Add baking powder and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Holding ramekin or bowl firmly in place, spoon batter into prepared pan around ramekin or bowl or spoon batter into bundt pan, if using, and smooth out top with the back of the spoon. Bake until cake is deep golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Transfer cake to a wire rack to let cool completely, in its pan.