Incorporating bone broth into your meals offers a magnitude of health benefits derived from the nutrients found in the bones themselves. When added to your recipes, it can raise the nutritional stakes and tastes of any family dinner.
This recipe, utilizing the nutrient-rich, healing power of bone broth, comes from Healing Bone Broth Recipes by Sharon and Reb Brown. The addition of this nutritious elixir adds a delicious complexity to this classic soup.
- 2½ POUNDS ORGANIC ROMA TOMATOES, HALVED
- 4 TABLESPOONS EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, DIVIDED
- SEA SALT TO TASTE
- FRESHLY CRACKED PEPPER
- 1 MEDIUM ONION, CHOPPED
- 4 CLOVES OF GARLIC, MINCED
- DASH OF CRUSHED RED PEPPER FLAKES
- 1 (15-OUNCE) CAN ORGANIC DICED TOMATOES
- 1 CUP BASIL, FRESHLY CHOPPED, PLUS MORE FOR TOPPING
- 4 CUPS BONAFIDE PROVISIONS CHICKEN BONE BROTH
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spread the tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large stockpot, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, basil and broth. Stir in the oven-roasted tomatoes. Cook for about 30 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup in the stockpot or transfer the soup to a food processor or blender to blend. Purée until almost completely smooth or leave some chunks to add texture to your soup. Top with fresh basil and cracked pepper and serve.