An after school snack to rule them all! These Nice Cream Sandwiches not only feature clean ingredients, lots of healthy nutrition, and enough protein to keep those active kids moving until dinner, but they are so, so good! Give them a try and let us know what you think!
Ingredients for cookie “crust”
- 20 medjool dates
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp. cacao powder
Ingredients for Nice Cream
- 2 frozen bananas
- ½ cup Orgain Kids Protein Shake, Vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Soak dates in warm water for 10 minutes. Slice each one open and remove the pit. Discard pits.
- Combine raw cookie crust ingredients in a food processor and pulse until a sticky dough forms into a ball.
- Place a large piece of parchment paper into a loaf pan and form it to the sides. Divide the crust dough in half and place half the crust in the loaf pan, pressing it down with your fingers until it evenly covers the bottom. You can use a thin metal spatula to help press it down evenly. If dough sticks to the spatula, run some warm water over the spatula and use while still wet. Place pan in freezer and place other half of the dough in an air-tight container or small Ziploc bag.
- Clean out the food processor. Add ingredients for the nice cream and pulse until a smooth nice cream forms. Remove loaf pan from freezer and spread the nice cream evenly on top of the first layer of crust. Freeze until hardened, about 2-3 hours or overnight.
- If you have a second loaf pan, cover it in parchment and press the remaining crust dough into it like you did before, until evenly covering the bottom. Lift the parchment out of the loaf pan, carefully peel the parchment away from the crust and place crust on top of nice cream. *If you don’t have a second loaf pan, you can simply lift the crust and nice cream out of the first one using the parchment and repeat the process in the first loaf pan, lift out of pan and place crust on top of nice cream to complete the sandwiches. Place sandwiches back in loaf pan to freeze.
- Freeze until hardened, lift out of loaf pan, cut into squares and enjoy!