A Vegan Butternut Squash Chili is the ticket to warming up on a brisk autumn evening. This chili is made with butternut squash (try buying a pre-chopped pack if you need to save on prep time), black beans, garbanzo beans, fire roasted tomatoes, and a robust blend of spices to add the ideal amount of heat. A little Laird Superfood Cacao Creamer rounds out the flavors and gives depth to the final product. Gluten-free, grain-free, hearty, and full of flavor. Include ground turkey if you are looking for added animal protein!
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, chopped into cubes
- 2 sprigs of fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4-5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeded, and chopped (look for canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce at your grocery store)
- 1 tbsp adobo chili powder (or generic chili powder if that’s what you have)
- 2 tsp adobo sauce
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups of your favorite vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 heaping tbsp Laird Superfood® Cacao Creamer
- 1 tbsp unsweetened plain greek yogurt or sour cream (if you are dairy free, use coconut yogurt)
- Pinch of diced red onion
- Pinch of chopped cilantro
- Set your stove top burner to medium heat, and in a medium stockpot add the olive oil, onions, bell peppers, butternut squash and cumin seeds.
- Stirring occasionally, sauté until onions are translucent and bell peppers and squash are softened. The heat will also allow the cumin seeds to release their flavor.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add fresh oregano, ground cumin, minced garlic, chopped chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, cinnamon, and smoked paprika. Continually stir the mixture for about 1 minute, or until spices release their aroma.
- Add rinsed and drained black beans and garbanzo beans. Add fire roasted diced tomatoes and juices, tomato paste, and vegetable broth. Cover stockpot and let simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Salt and pepper to taste, add two heaping tablespoons of Laird Superfood® Cacao Creamer, mix in well.
- Turn heat to low and let simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Let sit for about 15 minutes. Serve into bowls, garnish, and enjoy! Makes 6-8 servings.