This hearty soup is perfect for anytime of year. Plus, this simple recipe is ready in just 30 minutes, making it a perfect weeknight meal for the whole family. Adapted from KIWI Magazine.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups shredded turkey or chicken
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crushed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Sliced avocado (optional)
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
Step 1: In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and salt, stirring frequently until onions are translucent. Add minced garlic; cook for 1 minute.
Step 2: Add chili powder and cumin, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chicken broth and canned tomatoes to pot, and raise heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes.
Step 3: Stir in corn and cooked chicken or turkey, and cook for another 5 minutes until heated through.
Step 4: Ladle soup into bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips and shredded cheese. Add sliced avocado and cilantro, if desired, and enjoy!