- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
One night my husband and I went to a crab and seafood dinner at a restaurant on vacation buffet style. My husband is allergic to crab so we made sure to be seated away from the crowd.Unbelievably I had become alergic to shell fish.I didn’t get the crab.I did get one pasta salad which had a small amount of shell fish.Just seconds after I took the first bite…I ask my husband to please get some milk and my throat was closing as I began gasping for breath.Luckily the waitress knew what to do with getting antihistamine quickly! Later at home I was tested and carry an epipen.Anyone else have a similar situation?
Sorry to hear about the bad reaction. I have a shellfish allergy but I’ve built up a tolerance through the past 30 years so I’m able to be around it and have small quantities if I so desire but if I have more than a couple of shrimp I break out in hives.
I would definitely recommend getting an EpiPen and keeping it handy.
Sorry to hear that! I had no idea that you could develop these kind of allergies as you age
I also suddenly developed a shellfish allergy in my 20s after eating shrimp. Then I had a CT to diagnose a kidney stone and had a reaction to the CT dye. I understand the iodine in both can cause that.. or so I have been told.
it comes and goes
Sorry to hear.
Sorry to hear that.
Thanks everyone who replied. It’s scary to realize how anybody can become allergic to anything anytime. Be careful about hidden ingredients or cross contamination.
Yes, it’s terrible.