Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
Olive Oil Pastry
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2-5 Tablespoons cold water
Pot Pie Filling
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium Idaho potato, peeled and diced
- 16 Rebellyous Chicken Nuggets Diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 2 Tablespoons fresh or 2 teaspoons dried parsley, roughly chopped
- Begin by preparing the pastry dough. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add the oil and vinegar at the same time and stir with a wide spatula until the dough begins to come together. Drizzle in just about a teaspoon of water at a time, until you have a stiff, cohesive dough. Be careful not to go overboard with the liquid, as it should still be thick enough to roll out.
- Divide the dough into two equal rounds and wrap one in plastic wrap. Let chill in the fridge; this will be the top crust. Meanwhile, turn your attention to the remainder, which will form the bottom.
- On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to an even round about 1/8-inch thick. Gently transfer the dough to a 9-inch round pie pan and trim the excess around the edges. Chill until ready to use.
- For the filling, place the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrot and celery and sauté until tender; about 5 minutes. Add the potato and diced nuggets, stir to incorporate, and cook for another 5 – 6 minutes, until the chicken is crisp and golden on the outside.
- Sprinkle the flour all over and stir to evenly coat the ingredients. Once incorporated, slowly add the vegetable stock and non-dairy milk while stirring gently. Incorporate the poultry seasoning, pepper, and salt.
- Bring the mixture up to a gentle simmer and cook for another two minutes. Once the liquid has thickened, add the frozen peas in; no need to thaw. Turn off the heat and allow the warmth of the filling cook them through. Add the parsley and stir gently. Let cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Retrieve the prepared pie crust from the fridge, as well as the second half of the dough. Roll out the top crust in the same way as the first.
- Spread cooled filling evenly into pie shell, mounding it towards the center. Carefully move the second round of dough on top, folding over and crimping the edges. Use a very sharp knife to cut vents in the top.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Let rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Notes: Wrap leftovers tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, warm in a 350-degree preheated oven for about 10 – 15 minutes.